Jordbruksverkets startsida

Horse passport

Clearer rules on horse passports

All EU horses need a horse passport. This applies to all horses no matter their age or breed. A horse passport remains valid throughout the horse's life.

This means that if you have a horse with an approved EU passport, you do not need to get a new one. On the other hand, if you do not have a passport for your horse you need to apply for one. If your horse is born on or before 30 June, it needs a passport no later than 31 December of the same year. If your horse is born on 1 July or later, it needs a passport no later than at the age of six months.

The passport has three main objectives:

  • Ensure the horse's identity, for instance in case of trading;
  • Help preventing the spread of contagious diseases; and
  • Ensure that medicinal products do not end up in food.

How to obtain a horse passport

Please contact your breed society for obtaining a horse passport. If you do not know what breed your horse is, contact the Swedish Horseboard. The cost for obtaining a passport varies between the different societies.
When the horse dies, the passport shall be invalidated. Then you need to report the death to the breed society that issued the passport, so that the horse is deregistered. The invalidated passport shall be returned to the society.

Addresses to the breed societies are given in the right-hand column.

What happens if a horse has no passport?

The County Administrative Board is the authority that checks that horses have passports. They can order the owner to obtain a passport. If the horse lacks a passport, it is also possible to take the matter to the courts.  

All horses must be microchipped or freeze branded

From 1 July 2009 all horses that receive a new passport need to be identified by microchip or by freeze branding (in case of trotters). All horses will also receive a Universal Equine Lifetime Number (UELN) upon registration. This number will accompany the horse throughout its entire life.

A horse passport and the fact that the horse is microchipped or branded mean that it can be traced if it should be lost for some reason. It also means that show and competition results can be linked to breeding efforts in the future.

Imported horses must be registered in Sweden

The passport requirement applies to imported horses as well. If the horse has a passport issued by an approved organisation in the EU, you do not need to apply for a new passport. However, if you import a horse from a non-EU country, you need  to contact your breed society within 30 days and apply for registration or a passport. Please contact your breed society for information.

You need a health certificate to travel abroad

You need a specific health certificate from an official veterinarian certifying that your horse is healthy if you are to travel abroad. Only a horse passport is not enough. The health certificate must not be older than 48 hours when the journey begins.

Ask your breed society about horse passports

If you have further questions, please contact your breed society or the Swedish Horseboard.

Contact point through which attestations of dead horses are communicated, as referred to in Article 19 (1) (c) of Commission Regulation (EC) No 504/2008 of 6 June 2008 implementing Council Directives 90/426/EEC and 90/427/EEC as regards methods for the identification of equidae:
Agricultural Registers Division
Board of Agriculture
SE 551 82 Jönköping

Last updated: 2014-07-07